Welcome to Singapore Hamsters Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Supplements for hamsters

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Daland

Daland

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHamster's Land

hope i didn't offense anyone but no worries, these can still be fed to the hamsters for normal "enjoyment' for them so it still wun be a waste..

just like human drinking yakult but if really wanna get the good amount of good bacteria for someone who has a real tummy issue, yakult will not be able to help at all..

hope you all get what i mean..

Haha WN , no worries , I'm not that Petty ! :)

Thanks for ur info too, I got to learn something new !

Joychiyan

Joychiyan

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationHarbourfront

Anyone tried this? Saw it and was wondering what it is...

Saw the label "Omega" & "anti-oxidant" and i get very excited for my hamsters!
Posted Image

Hey i also saw this Chia seeds! Don't know whether can hamsters take in so never try. Better stick to Winternite's safe and researched grains and seeds that are listed in her Hamsters diet list. Here are some info abour Chia seeds:

Today, many research studies has been done to prove the health benefits of chia seeds. We have learned many new things about these seeds. One of the best things about these seeds is that they are extremely nutritious, containing around 22% of protein, 35% of healthy fats (Omega 3, Omega 6), and around 25% of dietary fiber. Not only that, they also contain plenty of minerals and vitamins – A lot of calcium, potassium, and iron is found in these seeds.
These little seeds help you fight against many diseases and keep the immune system strong by helping the body to absorb fat soluble vitamins.
Many people use these seeds to provide relief from arthritis or diabetes (by absorbing sugar), decrease blood pressure, help with acid reflux, or just improve the general cardiac health.
Chia seeds can also be used by people who would like to lose weight, cleanse their colon, and get rid of the toxins. These seeds can also be used to tone your muscles. Some research shows that it can also improve your mental performance and allow you to have a better rest during the night.
Chia seeds can offer plenty of health benefits, but as with any other supplement, it should be used in normal quantities, some side effects are found if they are used in extremely large quantities (such as, lower the blood pressure too much) Chia seeds are easy to digest (easier than flax seeds) and are gluten and cholesterol free.

^_^ For info only SHC frens ...

Cherylene

Cherylene

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationWorldwide (0.0)

Hey i also saw this Chia seeds! Don't know whether can hamsters take in so never try. Better stick to Winternite's safe and researched grains and seeds that are listed in her Hamsters diet list. Here are some info abour Chia seeds:

Today, many research studies has been done to prove the health benefits of chia seeds. We have learned many new things about these seeds. One of the best things about these seeds is that they are extremely nutritious, containing around 22% of protein, 35% of healthy fats (Omega 3, Omega 6), and around 25% of dietary fiber. Not only that, they also contain plenty of minerals and vitamins – A lot of calcium, potassium, and iron is found in these seeds.
These little seeds help you fight against many diseases and keep the immune system strong by helping the body to absorb fat soluble vitamins.
Many people use these seeds to provide relief from arthritis or diabetes (by absorbing sugar), decrease blood pressure, help with acid reflux, or just improve the general cardiac health.
Chia seeds can also be used by people who would like to lose weight, cleanse their colon, and get rid of the toxins. These seeds can also be used to tone your muscles. Some research shows that it can also improve your mental performance and allow you to have a better rest during the night.
Chia seeds can offer plenty of health benefits, but as with any other supplement, it should be used in normal quantities, some side effects are found if they are used in extremely large quantities (such as, lower the blood pressure too much) Chia seeds are easy to digest (easier than flax seeds) and are gluten and cholesterol free.

^_^ For info only SHC frens ...

wah... lose weight huh.... thats y need WN to review and see if its good if small qty is given lor

Edited by Cherylene, 17 July 2012 - 06:58 AM.

Joychiyan

Joychiyan

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationHarbourfront

wah... lose weight huh.... thats y need WN to review and see if its good if small qty is given lor

Yaaaaa! :wub:
If WN approves this then i will also take it !
I will take more to lose more weight while my hamsters take a small little pinch!

Daland

Daland

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHamster's Land
Wow, had learn another new thing again. Thanks for info Cheryl n Joy :)

tkdg3r

tkdg3r

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationPasir Ris
My parents take those chia seeds. Soak them overnight in a Tupperware in the fridge and they become these cute little bubbles that look like frog eggs.

tkdg3r

tkdg3r

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationPasir Ris
Ooh Wasn't aware of the sucrose content in bene bac. I'll still continue for my Syrian but will avoid for other hams

Summer White

Summer White

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationBishan
So means i cant feed the bene bac plus to my hams with diabetes....
Then i does the probiotics from iherb have sugar in it?

LovingYouForever&Always*LunaElliottLolaPennyZazzleGinger
Someday, I'll see RooNuggetWallyHaroldSquigglesNiuNiuDonutBasilPorkchopCottonTaffyTill we meet again; You'll never be forgotten.

Cherylene

Cherylene

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 509 posts

My parents take those chia seeds. Soak them overnight in a Tupperware in the fridge and they become these cute little bubbles that look like frog eggs.

Oohh. I'll like to try!! Aft they soak overnight, how is it prepared? Just eat it that way or cook it ?

winternite

winternite

Advanced Member

•  Admin
  • 855 posts
  • Location~ winternite ~
actually need not have to be too worries about the sucrose in the bene bac plus can still feed to dwarf maybe just once or twice per week..??

the old bene bac also got sucrose actually just that in the ingredients list the sucrose is listed on the last few but this PLUS one is in the 3rd ingredients list so i believe it has higher %age than the non-plus one.. :)

as for the Dr Ohhira Probiotics, it is a very 'pure' probiotic that meant for human actually..

more info about the probiotic --> Dr. Ohhira Probiotics

to understand more about E. faecalis --> Enterococcus faecalis

☆ღ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ~ what goes around comes around ~ KARMA ~ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ღ☆
~ i miss ah lian ah lian in my derams ~

(。◕‿◕。) ~ a frenz is a loving companion at all times ~ (。◕‿◕。)
~ value has a value only if its value is valued ~

in loving memory ~ my beloved ღ ❤ ღ ღ ❤ ღupdated 17/12/13
~ :wub:
ah lian my dearest cutie lovely farnie pretty wf robo galsobz sobz :wub:
☆ my 3 darling ☆ ღ ❤ ღ ~ # list of my hammies food #soft diet #sprout # (。◕‿◕。) ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
~ ah lian, 2 wf robos, 1 normal robos ~

"learn to know and understand your hamsters, dun expect them to understand you instead" -ah lian
"hammy wun feel lonely w/o another hammy to accompany but will only feel lonely if the owner neglected them" -ah lian

~ 朋友的相处,费心费力去经营,无私无偿地付出,结果是怎样?原来他们心中少了我 ☆ 后悔还能看破,遗憾不能弥补 ~
~ no guy is worth your tears... the one who is, wont make you cry ~
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain stupidity" -Frank William Leahy
"It is only the foolishest that cannot see one real self clear." ღ ❤ ღ

Cherylene

Cherylene

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 509 posts

actually need not have to be too worries about the sucrose in the bene bac plus can still feed to dwarf maybe just once or twice per week..??

the old bene bac also got sucrose actually just that in the ingredients list the sucrose is listed on the last few but this PLUS one is in the 3rd ingredients list so i believe it has higher %age than the non-plus one.. :)

as for the Dr Ohhira Probiotics, it is a very 'pure' probiotic that meant for human actually..

more info about the probiotic --> Dr. Ohhira Probiotics

to understand more about E. faecalis --> Enterococcus faecalis

WN, do add me in for the next available order for the probiotics.. no hurry... so just order when u r free.. thanks! any other products that can be combined with this order that is worth looking into?

tkdg3r

tkdg3r

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationPasir Ris

Oohh. I'll like to try!! Aft they soak overnight, how is it prepared? Just eat it that way or cook it ?

Eat raw by adding to your water or other drinks like fruit juice. According to my mum's packet can put on salad or bread also, essentially 'whatever rocks your boat' :P

P.s I double checked with mum, no need actually soak overnight, about 10-15 mins can turn the seeds into 'gel' already

Posted Image

Posted Image

Taken from: http://jeanrogers.hu...d-Drink-Recipes

Cook Time

Prep time: 1 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 16 min
Yields: 1 cup chia gel

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds

• Add the chia seeds to the water and mix them in well using a fork or whisk.
  • Use less chia seeds for a thin gel, and more chia seeds for a thick gel.
  • Allow the chia seeds to absorb the water for 10-15 minutes.
  • Periodically stir the chia seeds to prevent them from clumping up. Stirring and separating the chia seeds will allow them to absorb more liquid.
  • Add the chia gel to any of your favorite chia seed drinks or just drink it as is.
  • Store extra chia gel in the refrigerator in a sealed container for several days

winternite

winternite

Advanced Member

•  Admin
  • 855 posts
  • Location~ winternite ~

WN, do add me in for the next available order for the probiotics.. no hurry... so just order when u r free.. thanks! any other products that can be combined with this order that is worth looking into?

colostrum or Madre Labs, Madre-C, Whole-Food Vitamin C.. :)

i choose this vitamin C is cos of the powder form easier to 'feed' to hamster or mixed with other supplement like colostrum..

you can refer to this link for more vitamin C if you're interested --> http://www.iherb.com...=0&y=0#p=1&sr=0

☆ my 3 darling ☆ ღ ❤ ღ ~ # list of my hammies food #soft diet #sprout # (。◕‿◕。) ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

"learn to know and understand your hamsters, dun expect them to understand you instead" -ah lian
"hammy wun feel lonely w/o another hammy to accompany but will only feel lonely if the owner neglected them" -ah lian

winternite

winternite

Advanced Member

•  Admin
  • 855 posts
  • Location~ winternite ~
btw as for the chia seeds, i never really research into it and i am not a nutritionist so can't really advise if it is really good for anyone here..

as for hamsters, due to this is a herb seeds and may have some side effect if overdose so i will try not to feed since i dunno what amount will be consider overdose for small hamster.. =/

Cherylene

Cherylene

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 509 posts

Eat raw by adding to your water or other drinks like fruit juice. According to my mum's packet can put on salad or bread also, essentially 'whatever rocks your boat' :P

P.s I double checked with mum, no need actually soak overnight, about 10-15 mins can turn the seeds into 'gel' already

Posted Image

Posted Image

Taken from: http://jeanrogers.hu...d-Drink-Recipes

Cook Time

Prep time: 1 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 16 min
Yields: 1 cup chia gel

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • Add the chia seeds to the water and mix them in well using a fork or whisk.
  • Use less chia seeds for a thin gel, and more chia seeds for a thick gel.
  • Allow the chia seeds to absorb the water for 10-15 minutes.
  • Periodically stir the chia seeds to prevent them from clumping up. Stirring and separating the chia seeds will allow them to absorb more liquid.
  • Add the chia gel to any of your favorite chia seed drinks or just drink it as is.
  • Store extra chia gel in the refrigerator in a sealed container for several days

hey, thanks for the info.. really an interesting seed..... turning into gel and looks yummy already.. will buy them to try.. i saw it in the health shop under NTUC label... (forget the shop's name)... i believe there are different labels for such an item... will go source for one that fits the bill.. thanks for the info ya :D

cheesedale

cheesedale

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 278 posts
Is it me or what? The chia seeds look like the tadpole thing found in dessert?
Posted Image

adopted babies - Hamsome (May'10 to Jan'12), Princess (current new baby)

Cherylene

Cherylene

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 509 posts

Is it me or what? The chia seeds look like the tadpole thing found in dessert?

yes it does look like it... but dunno if its the same or not.. hahaha...

cheesedale

cheesedale

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 278 posts

yes it does look like it... but dunno if its the same or not.. hahaha...

I'm highly suspecting. Haha. Gel like also. If that's the case I don't mind having it. Very nice with soursop!

Major :offtopic: already...
Posted Image

adopted babies - Hamsome (May'10 to Jan'12), Princess (current new baby)

DLover

DLover

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 403 posts
Then this chia seeds i better avoid cuz it wrote allergic to peanut and others nuts should be cautious before taking. But I thought is seed :poke: is not nuts what :unknown: strange?!?

Edited by DLover, 17 July 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Summer White

Summer White

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationBishan
i went to Animal Kingdom today n i saw that at their counter, they have a different brand of probiotic, but its also called BENE BAC+, n the words are red in colour...

then i took a pic of their ingredients, not sure if its safe for hamsters or not.. the girl at the counter keep telling me its safe -.-
Posted Image

LovingYouForever&Always*LunaElliottLolaPennyZazzleGinger
Someday, I'll see RooNuggetWallyHaroldSquigglesNiuNiuDonutBasilPorkchopCottonTaffyTill we meet again; You'll never be forgotten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users