• Announcements

• Admin

Why I can't post or login to SHC?   01/31/17

All new members please take note. Read here if you are having problem logging in, unable to post or reply any topics.      
Cherylene

Supplements for hamsters

47 posts in this topic

My parents take those chia seeds. Soak them overnight in a Tupperware in the fridge and they become these cute little bubbles that look like frog eggs.

Ooh Wasn't aware of the sucrose content in bene bac. I'll still continue for my Syrian but will avoid for other hams

So means i cant feed the bene bac plus to my hams with diabetes....

Then i does the probiotics from iherb have sugar in it?

My parents take those chia seeds. Soak them overnight in a Tupperware in the fridge and they become these cute little bubbles that look like frog eggs.

Oohh. I'll like to try!! Aft they soak overnight, how is it prepared? Just eat it that way or cook it ?

actually need not have to be too worries about the sucrose in the bene bac plus can still feed to dwarf maybe just once or twice per week..??

the old bene bac also got sucrose actually just that in the ingredients list the sucrose is listed on the last few but this PLUS one is in the 3rd ingredients list so i believe it has higher %age than the non-plus one.. :)

as for the Dr Ohhira Probiotics, it is a very 'pure' probiotic that meant for human actually..

more info about the probiotic --> Dr. Ohhira Probiotics

to understand more about E. faecalis --> Enterococcus faecalis

actually need not have to be too worries about the sucrose in the bene bac plus can still feed to dwarf maybe just once or twice per week..??

the old bene bac also got sucrose actually just that in the ingredients list the sucrose is listed on the last few but this PLUS one is in the 3rd ingredients list so i believe it has higher %age than the non-plus one.. :)

as for the Dr Ohhira Probiotics, it is a very 'pure' probiotic that meant for human actually..

more info about the probiotic --> Dr. Ohhira Probiotics

to understand more about E. faecalis --> Enterococcus faecalis

WN, do add me in for the next available order for the probiotics.. no hurry... so just order when u r free.. thanks! any other products that can be combined with this order that is worth looking into?

Oohh. I'll like to try!! Aft they soak overnight, how is it prepared? Just eat it that way or cook it ?

Eat raw by adding to your water or other drinks like fruit juice. According to my mum's packet can put on salad or bread also, essentially 'whatever rocks your boat' :P

P.s I double checked with mum, no need actually soak overnight, about 10-15 mins can turn the seeds into 'gel' already

6823548_f260.jpg

b865ec4d.jpg

Taken from: http://jeanrogers.hubpages.com/hub/Chia-Seed-Drink-Recipes

Cook Time

Prep time: 1 min

Cook time: 15 min

Ready in: 16 min

Yields: 1 cup chia gel

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds

•  

• Add the chia seeds to the water and mix them in well using a fork or whisk.
  • Use less chia seeds for a thin gel, and more chia seeds for a thick gel.
  • Allow the chia seeds to absorb the water for 10-15 minutes.
  • Periodically stir the chia seeds to prevent them from clumping up. Stirring and separating the chia seeds will allow them to absorb more liquid.
  • Add the chia gel to any of your favorite chia seed drinks or just drink it as is.
  • Store extra chia gel in the refrigerator in a sealed container for several days

WN, do add me in for the next available order for the probiotics.. no hurry... so just order when u r free.. thanks! any other products that can be combined with this order that is worth looking into?

colostrum or Madre Labs, Madre-C, Whole-Food Vitamin C.. :)

i choose this vitamin C is cos of the powder form easier to 'feed' to hamster or mixed with other supplement like colostrum..

you can refer to this link for more vitamin C if you're interested --> http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=whole+food+vitamin+C&x=0&y=0#p=1&sr=0

btw as for the chia seeds, i never really research into it and i am not a nutritionist so can't really advise if it is really good for anyone here..

as for hamsters, due to this is a herb seeds and may have some side effect if overdose so i will try not to feed since i dunno what amount will be consider overdose for small hamster.. =/

Eat raw by adding to your water or other drinks like fruit juice. According to my mum's packet can put on salad or bread also, essentially 'whatever rocks your boat' :P

P.s I double checked with mum, no need actually soak overnight, about 10-15 mins can turn the seeds into 'gel' already

6823548_f260.jpg

b865ec4d.jpg

Taken from: http://jeanrogers.hu...d-Drink-Recipes

Cook Time

Prep time: 1 min

Cook time: 15 min

Ready in: 16 min

Yields: 1 cup chia gel

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds

•  

• Add the chia seeds to the water and mix them in well using a fork or whisk.

• Use less chia seeds for a thin gel, and more chia seeds for a thick gel.

• Allow the chia seeds to absorb the water for 10-15 minutes.

• Periodically stir the chia seeds to prevent them from clumping up. Stirring and separating the chia seeds will allow them to absorb more liquid.

• Add the chia gel to any of your favorite chia seed drinks or just drink it as is.

• Store extra chia gel in the refrigerator in a sealed container for several days

hey, thanks for the info.. really an interesting seed..... turning into gel and looks yummy already.. will buy them to try.. i saw it in the health shop under NTUC label... (forget the shop's name)... i believe there are different labels for such an item... will go source for one that fits the bill.. thanks for the info ya :D

Is it me or what? The chia seeds look like the tadpole thing found in dessert?

yes it does look like it... but dunno if its the same or not.. hahaha...

yes it does look like it... but dunno if its the same or not.. hahaha...

I'm highly suspecting. Haha. Gel like also. If that's the case I don't mind having it. Very nice with soursop!

Major :offtopic: already...

Then this chia seeds i better avoid cuz it wrote allergic to peanut and others nuts should be cautious before taking. But I thought is seed :poke: is not nuts what :unknown: strange?!?

Edited by DLover

i went to Animal Kingdom today n i saw that at their counter, they have a different brand of probiotic, but its also called BENE BAC+, n the words are red in colour...

then i took a pic of their ingredients, not sure if its safe for hamsters or not.. the girl at the counter keep telling me its safe -.-

imagelsfp.jpg

Why the ingredients look so weird one? Is that 'Clay' I see?

--

add on: There's BHT too, better avoid.

Edited by tkdg3r

i went to Animal Kingdom today n i saw that at their counter, they have a different brand of probiotic, but its also called BENE BAC+, n the words are red in colour...

then i took a pic of their ingredients, not sure if its safe for hamsters or not.. the girl at the counter keep telling me its safe -.-

imagelsfp.jpg

hahaha i immediately turn off when i see the 3rd or 4th ingredient is the glucose syrup.. :ninja:

Why the ingredients look so weird one? Is that 'Clay' I see?

--

add on: There's BHT too, better avoid.

o.0 yeah, when i saw clay then i was like... why need to add clay for???.. n what does BHT do to hamsters?...

hahaha i immediately turn off when i see the 3rd or 4th ingredient is the glucose syrup.. :ninja:

yes yes me too! but looks like now all the bene bac gels have sugar in them one leh :(

o.0 yeah, when i saw clay then i was like... why need to add clay for???.. n what does BHT do to hamsters?...

BHT is a controversial preservative like ethoxyquin.

Anyway this benebac+ is meant to be a source of pre- and probiotics or just some sort of diet enhancer thing? Because there seem to be a great deal more of energy giving ingredients and since the prebiotics are quite far down the list with probiotics even further down it means there's a very small amount of these.

one tiny thing i need to ask out of the blue...

whats the diff btwn prebiotics and probiotics?

and i feed some of my dwarf hams with the vitakraft emotion prebiotic... but not really sure how its good or bad for them.

and is the prebiotic in the vitakraft food really that effective?

one tiny thing i need to ask out of the blue...

whats the diff btwn prebiotics and probiotics?

Prebiotics are food that contain certain nutrients that help probiotics (the living organisms, eg actobacillus in yakult) to grow and function well.