Welcome to Singapore Hamsters Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Hamster Just Gave Birth! What Should I Do? How?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Summer White

Summer White

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 1380 posts
  • LocationBishan
U cant know for sure, but like u siad if she suddeny gains weight and looks rounder than usual then yes it could be.

LovingYouForever&Always*LunaElliottLolaPennyZazzleGinger
Someday, I'll see RooNuggetWallyHaroldSquigglesNiuNiuDonutBasilPorkchopCottonTaffyTill we meet again; You'll never be forgotten.

tgh

tgh

•  General Members
  • 3 posts

Hey peeps! I was looking around the web about hamsters and i came across sghamsters!

I have a Sapphire and a WW. I was shocked when i came home one night, and i saw 4 pups in the bath tub. My WW gave birth to 4 pups unknowingly! ok i have just read the pinned topic on what to do when 'My Hamsters just gave birth' and i had realised that it isn't good for the pups to be in the sand tub. Should i remove them or i should just leave it, as the topic suggests we shouldn't touch it at all for at least 2 weeks...

Cheers!

Hi, yes i posted this introduction yesterday night. However when i woke up this morning, i found that 3 of the 4 pups are not moving, i tried to nudge them with a spoon and it proved that they didn't survive... However there's still one more healthy pup left.

My question is.. what may have caused them to lead to this?

I actually moved the pups from the sand bath using a spoon to a small area in the cage, and the mum picked them up and transfered them to a small hamster house.

Summer White

Summer White

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 1380 posts
  • LocationBishan

Hi, yes i posted this introduction yesterday night. However when i woke up this morning, i found that 3 of the 4 pups are not moving, i tried to nudge them with a spoon and it proved that they didn't survive... However there's still one more healthy pup left.
My question is.. what may have caused them to lead to this?
I actually moved the pups from the sand bath using a spoon to a small area in the cage, and the mum picked them up and transfered them to a small hamster house.

Im so sorry that the pups didnt survive :'( but there r lots of reasons why they didnt make it, eg the mom was not ready to have pups, the mom was not getting enuf nutrients to produce milk for all the babies, the pups themselves had internal defects etc..

Yes,its best to remove the wheel and sand before the mom gives birth, but using a clean spoon and letting it 'soak' in the bedding scent can be used to move the pups, but the best is to still let the mom and her pups be.

U can also provide lots of tissue and soft paper based bedding for the mom to feel safer and make a nest. U can also feed the mom more nutritious foods like broccoli, spinach, or any dark leafy greens.

Someday, I'll see RooNuggetWallyHaroldSquigglesNiuNiuDonutBasilPorkchopCottonTaffyTill we meet again; You'll never be forgotten.

tgh

tgh

•  General Members
  • 3 posts

Im so sorry that the pups didnt survive :'( but there r lots of reasons why they didnt make it, eg the mom was not ready to have pups, the mom was not getting enuf nutrients to produce milk for all the babies, the pups themselves had internal defects etc..

Yes,its best to remove the wheel and sand before the mom gives birth, but using a clean spoon and letting it 'soak' in the bedding scent can be used to move the pups, but the best is to still let the mom and her pups be.

U can also provide lots of tissue and soft paper based bedding for the mom to feel safer and make a nest. U can also feed the mom more nutritious foods like broccoli, spinach, or any dark leafy greens.

Hi,

Eventually, the last pup didn't make it too.

However, i have notice that the female has started to be more aggressive towards the male, and unfortunately, i found battle scars on her face and ears, and i also found blood stains on her legs. I have since separated them.

Before her pregnancy, she has been outgoing and cohabit well with my male. But after that, she's been rather temperamental.

What's wrong?

Summer White

Summer White

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 1380 posts
  • LocationBishan
Its not advisable to put the male back w the female. They will continue breeding and more pups will come along, even if u dont have an intention to let them breed. It cld be that the female is used to living alone in a cage?..

Either way, its still best for both hams to live alone in their own cages.

Hi,
Eventually, the last pup didn't make it too.
However, i have notice that the female has started to be more aggressive towards the male, and unfortunately, i found battle scars on her face and ears, and i also found blood stains on her legs. I have since separated them.
Before her pregnancy, she has been outgoing and cohabit well with my male. But after that, she's been rather temperamental.
What's wrong?

Jasmin

Jasmin

Advanced Member

•  General Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBukit Batok

Perhaps the female is still too young or inexperienced to be a mum ?

I have no experience, though.

To be on the safe side (ie no more unexpected pups, for the good health of hamsters), perhaps you would like to consider letting your hamsters to live alone.

They are perfectly ok to be alone for their own life.

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users